vrijdag 6 januari 2012

BLOG 9 - New Year Honours: London list includes ex-gang member




Chris Preddie, 24, is a former gang member who was related to a schoolboy’s killers. His cousins were jailed for eight years in 2006 and his brother was shot dead. He abandoned drug dealing and turned his life around. He joined a Crimestoppers scheme aimed at cutting youth violence in south London. Now he is among the London figures listed in the New Year Honours for his youth work. Richard Tayler does not agree with this because he feels an honour should not be given “to the cousin of the killers of my son”.

I understand the way Mr Tayler thinks. However, as far as I know you should be judged on your own actions and not your relatives. I have to admit that I do not know much about this case, though. If you look at the achievements of Chris Preddie, I have to admit that his life changed for the better and it is good to recognize this. It would be great if it could stimulate others as well. Being completely honest, I am not so sure if I would have nominated him, but I have to admit that it seems like Chris Preddie really achieved something. Congratulations!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten